A Place To Land

A Place To Land - Mary Vine 2.5 stars
Uli is a young woman who has hung on the hurts from childhood. She was ignored and told to leave as a child when her family came over from Russia and she started school not knowing the language of her classmates. It didn’t help that her parents ran a traditional Russian household where the man was in charge and the women were basically subservient. Uli just wants to be a normal American girl and drag her family into the present with her. I could understand her feelings, but it honestly got to be too much. It started to feel a bit over the top with her trying to be someone she wasn’t; Uli actually started to come across as fake. I just couldn’t connect with her. I did like the part where she recognized that her family had the right to live how they saw fit, just as she did.

Jackson is a hardworking rancher and a genuinely nice guy. He didn’t agree with Uli’s article, but he helped her where he could. I liked Jackson but yet again there wasn’t any real connection there and that may have been because I just didn’t feel like I got to know him well.

The relationship between Uli and Jackson was sweet when they allowed it, but they both fought it too hard. Jackson couldn’t change that he was a rancher and had to stay put. Uli had herself painted into such a corner with her feelings of obligation to her family, which she put on herself; her family never asked her to take care of them. All of this distracted me from what little mystery there was.

Over all this was an alright read for me. It was well written and edited. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a milder romance.

(I received a copy from publisher for an honest review.)