The Hob's Bargain

The Hob's Bargain - Patricia Briggs I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this book. I didn’t put it down until I was done. It’s nothing like Alpha and Omega or Mercy Thompson. This is a light, quick, clean, and read. It’s not what I’ve come to expect from Patricia Briggs but I was not disappointed. There’s a really sweet romance and a healthy dose of good against evil. Aren has magical abilities, mainly she has the “sight”, which she hides to stay alive. Her brother was not so lucky. After a day of marriage she loses her husband and entire family to raiders (who play a major part in the story). Aren comes through to save her village by agreeing to the “bargain”. We are shown her strength throughout the book; she never hesitates to face her fears. Aren tries to hide her need for love and acceptance from everyone including herself. Who would have thought she’d have found her love, acceptance, and destiny in the Hob. The Hob has missed many years, sleeping in the mountain until the magic was released. I really liked the Hob. At first he comes across as juvenile, but you soon learn that is not true. He is mischievous and loves having fun. The Hob goes along with bargain, reluctantly at first, following directions. He starts to enjoy Aren’s company and grows to appreciate and love her. I can’t say much more about him without giving too many spoilers ;)This is a world that was well developed with details. The magic and all aspects of the “other” were developed with rules and intricacies were interesting and thought out. The secondary characters come alive with personalities and their own little quirks. I’d love to know what happens to the berserker. I hope someday to have more to Aren and the Hob’s story and more from this world.